Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Kiddo's latest adventures



I suppose the title is a bit misleading, as our life these days isn't particularly adventurous. But I realize that I haven't written about the kidlet in a while and you might be wondering what he's up to lately. Please be forewarned that the following post might sound like boasting. I'm sorry. I just can't help it. :( The kid is a marvel to behold... I really don't know how I'm going to keep him intellectually stimulated for the next 3.5 years until he starts school!

In some respects, he's a "you've got to see him to believe it" kind of kid, as he now says and does so many things I never thought he'd do at such a young age. However, he rarely does them when you want him to show off... I guess he's humble. :) Although he must love to count and identify shapes an awful lot, because he does those things just about everywhere we go! He will count to 12 all by himself, and knows a lot of the rest of the numbers up to 20, but tends to skip quite a few until he gets to "18, 19, 20!" The excitement over shapes has been going on for at least 3 months, because I know I've been having to draw circles for him for at least that long, and I can remember him being so excited about the diamond and triangle-shaped windows at the Lesotho-S. Africa border. My favorite thing is that he has always called triangles, "cah-wah-wah" and still does-- who knows why? Rectangles are something like "teng-angle." :)

About 2 weeks ago, he seemed to start understanding the difference between colors, so one of his new hobbies is pointing to things and telling us what color they are. His accuracy is increasing all the time, although he keeps finding things that are grey or magenta or black or brown, so I'm not sure if he's keeping all of those types of colors straight. He's very good with the primary colors and green, orange, and pink.

We recently bought him a RED plastic chair because he gets very excited when he sees toddler-sized chairs at other people's houses. I also thought having his own seat might keep him from standing so darn close to the TV when Elmo or Blue is on (in a related note, he finally broke the last button on the TV set-- thank heavens for the remote). He loves it, I think especially because it is red. My mom's car is red, and he LOVES to ride in Gobby's RED car and talks about it on a regular basis.

Ever since we came home from Lesotho, this kid has loved maps. The car rental agency gave us a book with road maps of Southern Africa and he just can't get enough of that book! He calls it his "Sotho book" and has just about worn it out. He started out by pointing at different countries or states (S.A. consists of states, sort of like here in the US) and saying "That?" Then we would tell him what the map says. So now he's "memorized" some of these maps and tells ME what is on them. His pronunciation is adorable! I SO wish I had a video camera to capture this phenomenon. Now he wants to learn from our world map, so I'm pointing out tiny little Lesotho, as well as all of the largest countries. I guess his curiosity is good for the Mama who never had any geography classes in all of her years of schooling.

His new favorite show is "Dora the Explorer," which I checked out from the Library for him last week. I think it might have something to do with THE MAP. Dora's perkiness is a bit much for me sometimes, but it is a good, educational show and it adds a little variety to our constant Elmo-Blue's Clues rotation.

He also LOVES photographs and wants to know everyone's names, so if you want to send us a picture I'll be sure to add you to the rotation! He might also want to know "what you say"-- I'll explain that in another post. For now I've got to go try to entertain my little explorer guy.

2 comments:

Kaela said...

Counts to twelve? Colors? Shapes? Kaden is a talker and a charmer, but really... I wish we lived closer so I could learn how you do it- better yet I could just send him over to your house and you could do it. JUST KIDDING. But really, way to go!!

Mom-mo said...

It's great fun when I visit and can take my favorite grandson to Wal-Mart. As soon as we get in the door, he starts pointing out all of the clocks, numbers, representations of Elmo, his favorite letters, etc. Of course, he loves 'action' cars, trucks, et al., and he usually figures out where the buttons are -- and how to activate the toys -- before I do. (Getting him to leave the store without one is starting to be a bit of a problem, though :o)