How much has changed in our lives since that last post in December. The end of 2009 was mostly sweet, celebrating Christmas with our two beautiful boys. There was stress in our lives, yes, but mostly profound gratitude for the joy of the Gospel and of our little family. My sons were growing up so fast, learning so quickly, filling my heart with such love and happiness. And then, suddenly, what has seemed like a long and terrible nightmare... but, tragically, is now our reality. Certainly by now the few of you who have followed my humble blog know that our dearest, sweetest little Isaac passed away on January 9th. My heart has been broken in a way I could never have imagined, and I have struggled to know what to say, to know what to do about this blog. I have known that I couldn't keep up the light-hearted blog with the whimsical title that this once was. But I have felt the need to continue to write about my children, and wondered what on earth to do.
As I look over the few posts I wrote since Isaac's birth, it seems so very wrong that there is so little recorded of his beautiful life. He was such a joy to me every single day, no matter how tired or inadequate I felt. It has been the great privilege and honor of my life to be his mother. Isaac was the most loving and darling child you could ever meet, and I've done so little to share that. My one consolation is that I wasn't writing about him while he lived mainly because I was busy holding him, nursing him, singing with him, talking to him, enjoying and loving him instead. I felt his babyhood was rushing by, and I kept wishing I could slow it down. But I never dreamed that he would be gone so soon. Honestly, my greatest and deepest fear has always been that something would happen to my children-- but I really thought the Lord knew I could never live through that. Yet here I am, my little Sunshine gone ahead of me.
And I wish you could have known him. Oh, how much I wish you could have seen how his smile lit up his face, how his joy could light up a room. It was impossible to not smile back. I wish you could have watched him scoot around the room, or grunt as he "chased" after his soccer ball. I wish you could have seen how much he liked music, and how he would wave his arm in time to it. I wish you could have seen how deliciously chunky and adorable he was; we called him "The Plumpiest." How he loved to eat! I wish you could have heard him babble and talk and click. Oh, how very much I wish you could have known him!
So I will need to pay tribute to him, somehow, in some way as I get stronger. But I haven't decided how just yet. I have posted some videos of him, and the tribute I wrote for the funeral, on Facebook. I may post them here as well. Or I may create another blog, just dedicated to my sweet, precious Isaac. I'm not sure. So please, bear with me as I stumble along this difficult road. I am grateful for your love, concern, and prayers.
As I look over the few posts I wrote since Isaac's birth, it seems so very wrong that there is so little recorded of his beautiful life. He was such a joy to me every single day, no matter how tired or inadequate I felt. It has been the great privilege and honor of my life to be his mother. Isaac was the most loving and darling child you could ever meet, and I've done so little to share that. My one consolation is that I wasn't writing about him while he lived mainly because I was busy holding him, nursing him, singing with him, talking to him, enjoying and loving him instead. I felt his babyhood was rushing by, and I kept wishing I could slow it down. But I never dreamed that he would be gone so soon. Honestly, my greatest and deepest fear has always been that something would happen to my children-- but I really thought the Lord knew I could never live through that. Yet here I am, my little Sunshine gone ahead of me.
And I wish you could have known him. Oh, how much I wish you could have seen how his smile lit up his face, how his joy could light up a room. It was impossible to not smile back. I wish you could have watched him scoot around the room, or grunt as he "chased" after his soccer ball. I wish you could have seen how much he liked music, and how he would wave his arm in time to it. I wish you could have seen how deliciously chunky and adorable he was; we called him "The Plumpiest." How he loved to eat! I wish you could have heard him babble and talk and click. Oh, how very much I wish you could have known him!
So I will need to pay tribute to him, somehow, in some way as I get stronger. But I haven't decided how just yet. I have posted some videos of him, and the tribute I wrote for the funeral, on Facebook. I may post them here as well. Or I may create another blog, just dedicated to my sweet, precious Isaac. I'm not sure. So please, bear with me as I stumble along this difficult road. I am grateful for your love, concern, and prayers.


9 comments:
What a beautiful post - thank you for having the courage to write again.
I hope you will continue to write. There is power in putting sometimes unformulated thoughts and emotions into words (read the Ensign article about writing I linked to on my blog -- I think you'll appreciate it).
We love you guys.
I do hope that you can use your blog to help get you through this most difficult time in your life. I have always enjoyed reading about your life with your kids and would love to hear all about Isaac's life. I do not know what to say to make it better for you, I'm not sure I'm suppose to do that. I do know that Heavenly Father loves you. And we all love you too. Look forward to taking this journey with you, through your blog! Miss you all!
You are a wonderful writer and have a beautiful way of sharing your thoughts and feelings.
I wish I could have met him too!! I'm sure he was an absolute angel on earth from what I have read about him, seen in pictures, and know about the family that he was born into, and the parents that brought him into this world. I really appreciate all that you have written and shared. Wish we still lived close so we could visit more and I could have your influence in my life... I guess blogging is certainly the next best thing. Hope you will continue to write here:)
Yes, yes, yes! Continue to write about your beautiful children. Pay tribute to your dearest Isaac. However you feel best about doing it, please, please do it.
I love your "one consolation" about why you didn't record more of Isaac's life -- you were busy simply enjoying and appreciating life with him. There is nothing better you could have been doing, and you are such an example to the rest of us to do the same -- to cherish and treasure every single moment of each day we have with our little ones.
Rachael, I'm so glad you are writing here again. You have such a strength you probably can't even see right now, but I see you as a beacon of light and hope for others who may pass through similar trials as yours. Just by sharing your story, and by keeping Isaac's spirit alive, I know you will touch and lift many, many people...many you may never even know of.
You are always in my prayers.
Rachael, I'm glad you were able to post again. I've been thinking of you and wondering where you are on that impossibly difficult journey you are on. I hope you will find some comfort in expressing your thoughts and in sharing more about Isaac. It always makes me tear up to think of your loss but then I can't help but smile when you describe what a sweet, loving, special boy Isaac was. Still praying for you guys. Hang in there.
Thinking of you sweetie... stay strong and keep writing...
I do not know you but I found your blog after reading what so many people did in honor of your beautiful son. I am so sorry for your loss and heartache. I know I don't know you but I feel as though in some way we understand each other. My third child passed away almost 2 years ago. He was 3 months old. It has been a hard road but our Heavenly Father has been there the whole time helping us through it. And I'm sure it's been the same for you. I hope you don't mind if I copy your idea for my sons birthday. I've always wanted to do something like that. Anyways sorry if this weirds you out.
Sarah
We are thinking of you guys... Scott saw Tsoane at the temple back in may when you were there, he mentioned that you guys had gone through something tragic. I just want you to know you are in our prayers.
Post a Comment