My Mom and her husband are set to come visit for a few days, and our humble abode is perhaps the messiest it's ever been in our 6.5 years of marriage. My pregnancy aches and pains, Kiddo's love of messiness, and Daddy-O's end of semester graduate work have all left us with too little energy to do much tidying lately. I thought that Kiddo's room would be the easiest to tackle, so I started there first.
After I picked up the clothes, blankets, and stuffed animals strewn around the room, I noticed the battle had only begun. The floor and beds were COVERED with books. Here's what I found:
As a first-time Mommy, I've sometimes struggled with worries about my parenting skills or my hopes for Kiddo's future. One of my earliest anxieties was, "what if he doesn't like to READ? What would I do with a child who doesn't LIKE BOOKS?" My mother assured me that she couldn't imagine any child of mine not loving to read, but I was still skeptical for some months. Looking at his room today, I really have to laugh about that fear. I guess it has been well-established that this is one child who LOVES his books!
After I picked up the clothes, blankets, and stuffed animals strewn around the room, I noticed the battle had only begun. The floor and beds were COVERED with books. Here's what I found:
- 56 children's books NOT in the bookcase
- 2 phone books, under his bed
- 1 photo album, of pictures from Lesotho
As a first-time Mommy, I've sometimes struggled with worries about my parenting skills or my hopes for Kiddo's future. One of my earliest anxieties was, "what if he doesn't like to READ? What would I do with a child who doesn't LIKE BOOKS?" My mother assured me that she couldn't imagine any child of mine not loving to read, but I was still skeptical for some months. Looking at his room today, I really have to laugh about that fear. I guess it has been well-established that this is one child who LOVES his books!

2 comments:
Yay! Books are the best!! Isn't cleaning the worst?! I don't even have pregnancy as an excuse as to why my house is messy. I actually think I might like cleaning, if it were a little more rewarding. I feel like I clean and clean and my house hardly ever feels as clean as I want it to!
I still can't believe he's reading!!! That's awesome! Way to go on the cleaning. That's my goal this week...ugh.
Post a Comment