Most of the time, it seems like I'm feeding someone or changing someone's diapers or trying to get someone to sleep. And if I'm not doing that, I'm looking for some toy Kiddo has lost or blowing bubbles. Kiddo seems to think that any time is a good time for bubbles, even if I'm nursing the baby, burping the baby, changing a diaper, or trying to eat... my patience is wearing a little thin. Just getting a chance to shower or sneak in a cat-nap is so much more difficult than it was just a month ago! I know that I have so much to be grateful for, and I am feeling so blessed to have my two sweet boys. This just isn't the most fun or glamorous time right now, and it will pass. It would just be nice to have a housekeeper or something. However, I must give credit to my wonderful husband: the Daddy-O is fabulous to us, and helps me with just about EVERYTHING he possibly can when he gets home from work.
Kiddo still seems to like his little brother, and is anxious to give him kisses and loves. He is totally amused by the baby's little noises, and thinks it's hilarious when the Little Squirt pees everywhere when I change his diaper. Evidently, Mommy is very funny when she exasperatedly says, "Oh, man!!!" several times... I do think Kiddo gets frustrated by how much time I spend feeding the baby because that is time when I am basically "out of commission," but he is doing better than I'd expected with it.
The funniest thing about Kiddo's relationship with the baby is that, for the majority of my pregnancy, Kiddo was absolutely definite that there was only one acceptable name for this child. Luckily for Daddy-O and me, it was the dignified Old Testament name we'd already pretty much decided on as soon as we knew we were expecting. However, since the baby's birth, Kiddo almost never refers to him by his real name. Instead, he calls the baby...... "Tom-Tom Tomato," or just "Tom-Tom," for short!
There is a story behind this crazy nickname. On Valentine's Day, we took Kiddo with us out to eat at the Olive Garden. The highlight of this trip, for Kiddo, was the children's menu and crayons. They are decorated with cartoon food characters, sort of like the Veggie Tales. The two that he remembered best were "Ollie Olive" and "Tonya Tomato." At some point weeks later, Kiddo decided that he was Ollie and that Mommy is Tonya. Somedays he will only answer to Ollie, and often he refers to me as Tonya or Tonya Tomato both at home AND in public.
Later he decided he wanted Daddy-O to be Tonya also, but we informed him that Tonya is only a girl's name. Thus, Daddy-O became "Mr. Tonya." When we asked him what the baby should be called, he came up with "Tom-Tom Tomato," never really thinking Kiddo would actually call him that...
So when anyone asks Kiddo, "What's your baby brother's name?" he answers, "Tom-Tom" and Mommy or Daddy have to explain that no, his name isn't even Thomas either. No, Kiddo didn't want to name him Thomas or Tom-Tom. He just wants to call him Tom-Tom now.
So, I'm wondering:
- Should I still refer to the baby as Rerun, which Daddy doesn't care for?
- Should I call him Tom-Tom, which is just confusing?
- Should I call him Little Squirt, because it does seem quite appropriate?
- Or, should I go back to the drawing board and pick an entirely new nickname?

6 comments:
You are amazing!!! Thanks for making me laugh. I loved this post. Congratulations to you and your family for the new baby and the graduation.
yeah for pictures! your little guys are so cute. those first few weeks are definitely consuming and exhausting. it seems you have a good perspective on it though. just enjoy how tiny they are cuz before you know it they'll both be taller than you!
congrats to "daddy-o" on graduating!
CONGRATULATIONS On the graduation! Are you going somewhere else soon?
Beautiful baby - this will pass... but boy, I would do just about anything for a housekeeper (except pay for as much as it costs) :)
So, so cute! Love the family pic!! You are looking great and have a beautiful family!!!
No suggestions on the nicknames at this point. Only wanted to say that YOU WILL MAKE IT -- just hang in there. For me life seems to get a little better when the newborn has hit about 2 months. It is pure exhaustion day and night until that point, so don't beat yourself up or anything. You are doing an amazing job. And you're even emailing and blogging and Facebooking? Astounding.
Post a Comment