Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Boy Genius Strikes Again... and Again... and Again!


I guess I haven't posted much lately about what Kiddo's been up to. But really, he's learning so fast that who can keep up with him? I am so amazed by his intelligence, and am as proud of him as I could be, but sometimes I think we're just dreaming it all. And I am becoming increasingly worried about his future education because #1, I am now pretty certain that he would be bored at regular school all day and probably get himself in trouble, and #2 I don't know how I could possibly keep up with him well enough to home-school long-term, especially now that he's got a brother on the way. That may sound like an exaggeration, but it's not. REALLY. Here's just a few reasons why:

I think I eluded to the fact that in
November Kiddo showed us that he can read-- for real. He's moved beyond recognizing some sight words to being able to pick up a book he's never seen before and start reading aloud whole sentences, only stopping to ask for unfamiliar words. The first sentence I caught him reading? "I am not a happy pig." Thank you, Mo Willems-- I just love that! :) Now we have to be extra careful what we've got lying around because he's been known to pull our books or magazines off the shelf to read a random sentence or two before moving on to something else!

In
December he suddenly became intensely interested in his US map placemat, and began asking us to tell him each state. Within 2 weeks, he knew them all. He can find them on the map, AND recognize the names of each of the 50 states in other contexts: "Daddy's bag says Colorado!" or pointing out "New York" on the title page of a book, etc., etc..

This month Kiddo's learning the state capitals, and already has them almost all memorized. He started with interest in Iowa and Colorado. I had pointed out to him Des Moines in the Road Atlas and told him I was born there. Then one day he pointed at Denver and said, "Is this Des Moines?" so I had to explain that it was Denver. Then we taught him Springfield, in honor of President Lincoln, and he began recognizing the capitals that are actually named
after Presidents. Then he learned Topeka, which is an endless source of amusement to him-- who knows why. Then, for about a week, he had no interest in capitals and would say, "I don't want to know them. I want to learn the states." Or, he would want to learn the flags for certain states instead (also on his placemat).

Then in
mid-January, Mommy accidentally found this book at the Library called "Celebrate the 50 states" and it has been his constant companion for a week or so. Each page has bright, colorful pictures of 2 states, and the capitals are clearly marked. One night, Daddy-O teasingly said, "I'll bet you don't know the capital of Colorado!" It was like you could see a light turn on above Kiddo's head, or as if he was thinking, "Okay, Daddy-- GAME ON!" because now he is busy learning them all. He actually asks us to say, "I'll bet you don't know..." so he can show us what he does know. If you've got a few minutes, here's a video of one of Kiddo's new favorite "games." I can't figure out why he likes to be quizzed, but maybe he's setting out to beat Ken Jennings' record on Jeopardy and thinks he needs an extremely early start!


By the way, "Scary Nevada" is a term he came up with the day before, all on his own. :)

But, lest anyone think I'm just trying to show off, I really don't take credit for his insane brilliance. Goodness knows the only part of it he inherited from me was just general nerdiness-- meaning that he often sees me looking at atlases and dictionaries and reference books--
NOT the amazing memory, huge brain capacity, or the incredible energy. I will also let you know that he still has ZERO interest in using the potty. I asked him over the weekend how old he thought he'd be when he starts using the potty. His reply? "Fifteen." I guess we're definitely gonna hafta home-school... ;)

3 comments:

Renshaw Family said...

You really do have a boy genius on your hands. I think your two year old is smarter than me. You guys better watch out!!!

Kaela said...

He is SO fun to watch!!! He certainly has been placed in the right home- you are the perfect mommy for him. You want the BEST things for him and go about everything in the right way (in my opinion). Keep up the good work!!!

The Conductor said...

Seriously, can't you make some money off his brilliance? I have to check out that States book for Curtis. He is STILL into maps but has only recently been into learning the capitals.

I guess you can't use the worn-out housewife excuse of needing to get out because you have no intelligent conversation at home all day, right?