Well, it's no secret our family depends on the Library for a great deal of our entertainment. I know that when I moved here, I complained that our Library had a poor selection of Storytimes, Young Children's books, CDs, and DVDs. However, I have since discovered the joys of the Inter-Library Loan, unlimited holds, and some wonderful librarians who love our Kiddo and know him by name. They've increased their number of Storytimes, and seen a large increase in attendance, as well. After remodeling, they've added a number of fun new toys and books to the Children's department. The funny/interesting thing I've discovered is that many of the items I've requested for Kiddo from other Libraries throughout our region have recently been purchased by our own Local Library. I like to joke with the Daddy-O that they're tracking what Kiddo reads and watches to see what makes him so special, ha-ha-ha.
Anyway, I saw these two headlines on USA Today which made me really sad.
Country's oldest public library could close this year
U.S. libraries on borrowed time?
Even sadder are many readers' comments implying that Libraries are obsolete because of the Internet. I love being able to access huge amounts of information from my own computer, but for me it could never replace the feeling I get when I wander around the Library. Nothing is better than holding, and even smelling, a new book. And I just don't trust a lot of the information on the Internet-- so much has not been verified for authenticity or even general readability!
Hopefully the Libraries in your area are well-funded, well-used, and well-appreciated. I know that our town also has two small branch libraries, and it is likely those will close soon. So, just in case, make sure to go to the Library this week-- and take a child with you, so they can experience the wonders that can be found therein, too!
Anyway, I saw these two headlines on USA Today which made me really sad.
Country's oldest public library could close this year
U.S. libraries on borrowed time?
Even sadder are many readers' comments implying that Libraries are obsolete because of the Internet. I love being able to access huge amounts of information from my own computer, but for me it could never replace the feeling I get when I wander around the Library. Nothing is better than holding, and even smelling, a new book. And I just don't trust a lot of the information on the Internet-- so much has not been verified for authenticity or even general readability!
Hopefully the Libraries in your area are well-funded, well-used, and well-appreciated. I know that our town also has two small branch libraries, and it is likely those will close soon. So, just in case, make sure to go to the Library this week-- and take a child with you, so they can experience the wonders that can be found therein, too!

2 comments:
I love the library, too. I really hope ours will be ok. There has been talking about starting a county system, but so many people are against it. One of our city council members is one of those who thinks libraries are obsolete, and it makes me so sad. I love to take Kaden there to read and pick out books. That's not something you can do on the internet. Libraries are so valuable, and I will definitely keep supporting ours!
Hooray for libraries! I was so happy to find so many good things about the library here in our new town.
I love the fact that when we want to go get a movie to watch as a family, my kids know we're headed to the library and not Blockbuster.
Post a Comment