Monday, March 16, 2009

Cute, but not cute enough to tempt Kiddo

Kiddo may be a smarty-pants, but he is also extremely stubborn. He still has very, very little interest in using the potty. I thought he might be scared to sit on the big potty, and we recently discovered that our hand-me-down kid-size potty was missing an essential piece, so we went in search of a new potty while Kiddo was with his Gobby. We found this, which I think may be the cutest potty I have ever seen:

As you can see, when we first got it, he was pretty excited about it. He really likes that it's a frog. For a few months, we've been reading LOTS of books to him about kids using the potty, so he was sort of interested to sit on it (fully clothed, mind you) and read.

Then, quite suddenly, he was back to zero interest.

I am at a loss. I know they say not to pressure the child and stress him out, but he'll be 3 in June and I really was hoping that he'd be done with diapers before his little brother comes. I think I should have tried this a year ago, when he actually would tell us that he needed a new diaper. I think he would have been a lot more cooperative. Now he tries to hide it, in hopes that we'll leave him alone!

I've also tried asking him if he'd like to go get some big-boy underpants with Thomas the Tank Engine or Lightning McQueen on them, because he's insisting that he's NOT little anymore. He's BIG. However, he wants "Jay-Jay the Jet Plane underwear," which I don't think even exist. Jay-Jay is a character from a board book someone gave him long ago.

Any ideas? Oh, and he's NOT afraid of the flush. He LOVES to flush the toilet, so that's not his hang-up.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

I wish I could give you more advice, but Kaden's daycare provider did most of the work for us! I think it really helped him that there was another boy potty training at the same time. Just keep talking it up, but don't pressure. Also, take him shopping for big boy underwear so he can see what's there and hopefully pick one of those. Good luck!!!

Mom-mo said...

Alecia said (just today) that she hasn't been pushing the potty with Jason, and he just turned 3 on Saturday.
I agree with Cindy that it's a lot easier if you can add the elements of socialization and competition involved in the daycare setting -- it worked with Deirdre, anyway! Luv U!

The Conductor said...

If it helps any, all 3 of my potty-trained kids didn't get there until age 3.5! I am one of those "lazy" moms -- I encouraged and watched for "signs" and everything, but I was not interested in taking my child to the potty every 2 hours to see if he/she had to go, or in cleaning up accident after accident (especially in public). So I waited. For the most part, once they hit about 3 and 1/2, something clicks and they're trained within a week or two, even at night.

Completely my opinion, based on my personal experiences, but it might be worth another 6(?) months of diapers to not risk the regression they say happens when a new baby joins the family.

My sister swears by training her 3-year old immediately AFTER the new baby comes (and she had them every 3 years, so I guess it worked well?) because then the 3-year old has a special way to get his own attention amid all the attention being lavished on the newborn. ?? I always thought she was crazy, though.

Kaela said...

I like that little toilet! It looks like the guard comes higher than most. I feel like all the little toilets there are out there are so small and the guards are so small. But sitting on the big toilet is totally out of the question for my guy. I am right there with you lamenting each diaper change- especially the messy ones. Let me know if you find any methods that work:)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I don't know if you still need any thoughts on this, but now I'm chiming in.
I've done this 4 times now and patience IS the key. It will happen quickly WHEN he's ready. I know that diapers are expensive and dirty diapers are NO fun (and downright disgusting), but how proud you'll be when HE'S the one who trains himself!!!
Tips: 1)let him pick some underwear (several pair) and have them available, ask him from time to time (a few times a week is plenty) if he wants to wear his big boy (or whatever name)underwear.
2)Mommy and Daddy give up privacy for a while and invite him in during potty breaks.
3)Invite him to sit and read a book while he sits on his potty (big or little), if anything good happens while there, I give a big "whoop" and applause and "Way to go!!" (I'm pretty loud and animated already, don't scare him if you aren't).
4)Always have them wash after trial runs (my kids like washing hands and playing in water).
4)The real key is to be reminding them of the potential and acclimenting them to the new things gradually, so when it's their decision, it's them doing all the work.
I have been known to push it when we've done all these things for a while, I find them going all night dry, easily dressing themselves, taking their diaper off, etc. I have them go bare bottom with a Daddy (or Mommy t-shirt) and a lot of time to pay attention to their behavior (I watch for pulling (boys), potty dance, hiding, or going on the floor and take them to the potty. Proceed with praise even if they didn't make it, but sat on the potty).
I've never potty trained for more than 2 weeks. They really do it all. I'm just there to "whoop" and clap, wipe bottoms and help wash hands.
Sorry this turned into a book.
Good Luck!