Thursday, March 31, 2011

There is Music in His Soul


It's really been a LONG time since I've posted much about Kiddo, for a number of reasons. In part, it's been because I've been so deeply immersed in grief for Isaac. And then there was pregnancy exhaustion. Now I have a new baby whose pictures people want to see. And there's also the question I've had in my mind for a long time about how many of his accomplishments I can share without sounding like a terrible braggart. Those who've been reading this blog from its earliest days might remember that I somewhat jokingly titled a post "Further Proof that my Son is a Genius" when I discovered he could draw circles. At that point, I had NO IDEA what he would be doing over the next few years and that I would grow to believe that he truly is a genius. And when I say that, I am in no way taking credit for his intelligence, nor am I inflating his abilities simply because he is my son. I honestly am amazed by the things that he does and understands.

Two important things to know about Kiddo are #1, he LOVES numbers (and I think he always has). When we first moved him into his own room at six months old, he would lay in his crib and stare at the clock, just smiling. We joked that he was learning to tell time. Well, he wasn't-- back then-- but he did master telling time a year ago, before his fourth birthday. He counted to ten independently the day he turned 18 months old, and before his 2nd birthday he could count to 100... and he's just kept learning since. But on to the second important thing to know-- he is very goal-oriented. When he really wants to know or do something, he doesn't want to do it a little bit. He almost always stays focused until he learns the WHOLE THING.

So what does this mean? Well, when he was 2 years, 2 months he found his Presidents place mat and started asking who each of the Presidents were. When Kiddo discovered that each one had a number next to his picture, Kiddo started learning each president by name and number.

(at Church with his 50 States place mat)

Similarly, when at 2 and 1/2, he started asking about the states (also because of a place mat!), he first learned each and every one by name and location. A month later, he started learning all the capitals. And he kept at each task until he knew them all. When we found a book called "Celebrate the Fifty States," Kiddo also discovered that each state has a number assigned to it based on when it entered the Union. So, of course, then he had to learn every state by its number. Later I found a book that listed each of the states' "birthdays," and Kiddo decided to learn those too-- ALL of them, of course.

(a little light reading before bed)


Last summer, Kiddo began his most ambitious project to date: he decided he wanted to learn the hymns in our Church's hymn books. Not just a few of them, of course-- he wanted to know ALL 341 of them. So my Mom gave him a hymn book, and I introduced him to the Church's interactive music website and Kiddo took off. Often, he would ask to take the Hymnbook with him wherever we were going.

(at a Primary activity)

Within a few months, he could tell you the name and number of each of the 341 hymns. Additionally, he started paying attention to all sorts of details on the page: how it is to be sung, the tempo, the authors, and because of the website, the key each song is in. At some point, he unhappily realized that not all of the hymns were on the site due to "copyright restrictions," so I dug out my old "Music Only" CDs of the hymns and let him listen to those as much as he wanted.

Now Kiddo hasn't learned the tune and lyrics for all 341 yet, but he LOVES to be quizzed and it's very, very difficult to stump him. He has since introduced us to a number of hymns that Daddy-O and I had never even heard before. He even carries a tune pretty well.

I have to say that of all Kiddo's interests thus far, the hymnbook has probably been my favorite. I really enjoyed the Spirit that his listening to and singing the hymns brought into our home, especially during those four months that I taught Seminary. So I'm sad to report that he doesn't spend that much time with the hymns these days-- although he has informed me that he thinks Little Friend's favorite hymn is "I Need Thee Every Hour." :) However, as many times as he's gone back to his love for the 50 states and learned new things about them, I have great hope that his love of the hymns will be life-long. He certainly has made an incredible start!

2 comments:

taradon said...

I agree with you that Kiddo is a budding genius. Aaron and I have always been so impressed by him! I love the stories of that little smartie-pants!

The Conductor said...

I LOVED this! I can see why you struggle finding the right balance to talk about Kiddo's accomplishments. Whew! That boy IS a genius, pure and simple. I love that you've documented it all. I also love seeing how you've provided him with the tools and resources to fuel that passion he has for whatever it is at the moment. What a great idea to give him a hymnbook and introduce him to the interactive music player! And what a neat outcome. I may have to try that (...though I doubt I'll get quite the same results)!

Recently I read about someone whose father posted the Periodic Table of Elements on his kitchen wall and how that stuck with him all his life. So I figured let's try it. Of course Curtis is the one who's gravitated to it the most, but it's fun to see all the kids gather round and quiz each other on the elements (mostly their symbols). This is another topic I imagine Kiddo would really get into, with all those numbers involved!

Oh, by the way, I found those Bible Trivia cards at the Dollar Store... My kids may want a re-match the next time we come visit! =)

You may not take credit for Kiddo's intelligence, but some of it is certainly genetic and some of it is certainly fostered/enhanced/developed through your fantastic mothering. When he wins the Nobel Peace Prize (in about 4 years), I'm sure his mother will be the first one he'll thank.