At some point this summer, we were getting in to our car in the Sears parking lot, and I noticed some people exiting the store-- it looked like a mom and two teenagers. When I looked at the teenage girl, I gasped. Out Loud.
"What is it?" my husband asked, as he put Kiddo in the car seat. "Are you okay?"
"This girl!" I whispered. "She's SO pale. It looks like she just came out of a coffin a after a few hundred years!"
My husband laughed, and I looked at the young lady again. She was wearing a bright red short-sleeved shirt, long denim shorts, and had extremely dark, almost black hair. And she was ghostly white. Then I stopped and thought for a second.
"Oh wow," I said. "Maybe that's what people think when they see me! WEIRD! No wonder people were always telling me I need some sun..."
Case in point: the picture above. I've been out quite a bit more in this unseasonably gorgeous weather the past few weeks, and even sunburned at least 3 times. And yet... look at that pasty face. I'm still sickly-looking.
It made me think, what do people think when they see me, or meet me, or hear me talking out in public? And that's always weird to contemplate. In fact, I try not to dwell on it, lest my extreme perfectionism take over and convince me that everyone probably thinks I'm strange, and ugly, and bossy, and not as funny as I'd like to be....
Anyway, what I finally decided to take from this experience is: it's probably best that I don't really wear shorts much.
"What is it?" my husband asked, as he put Kiddo in the car seat. "Are you okay?"
"This girl!" I whispered. "She's SO pale. It looks like she just came out of a coffin a after a few hundred years!"
My husband laughed, and I looked at the young lady again. She was wearing a bright red short-sleeved shirt, long denim shorts, and had extremely dark, almost black hair. And she was ghostly white. Then I stopped and thought for a second.
"Oh wow," I said. "Maybe that's what people think when they see me! WEIRD! No wonder people were always telling me I need some sun..."
Case in point: the picture above. I've been out quite a bit more in this unseasonably gorgeous weather the past few weeks, and even sunburned at least 3 times. And yet... look at that pasty face. I'm still sickly-looking.
It made me think, what do people think when they see me, or meet me, or hear me talking out in public? And that's always weird to contemplate. In fact, I try not to dwell on it, lest my extreme perfectionism take over and convince me that everyone probably thinks I'm strange, and ugly, and bossy, and not as funny as I'd like to be....
Anyway, what I finally decided to take from this experience is: it's probably best that I don't really wear shorts much.

2 comments:
Hi Rachael, it's Amy. I don't read your blog nearly as much as I should or would like to, considering how much I really enjoy your writing and your sense of humor. I had to comment tonight, just to say that I've never thought of you as strange, bossy, pasty, or any of those things! You crack me up. (...Having said that, is it possible we're both on the same humor wavelength, but not as funny as we think we are?...)
You are too silly! You are great... and beautiful!! I swear I am as white if not WHITER than you. I certainly feel like the last white person left in ST. GEORGE!! Wouldn't it be great if we could get glimpses of how people perceived us (OR NOT?!)?
Post a Comment