Friday, April 4, 2008

Seeking advice...

I was just wondering, if any of my readers have successfully potty-trained a boy. If so, how did you introduce the process to said boy(s)? How many weeks/months/years did it take? I used to babysit a boy while he was learning to use the potty, but that was only one day a week and it was stressful enough! I counted my lucky stars someone else got to deal with it the other 6. My little man-child is very interested in the bathroom, flushing, and usually comments that his old diapers are "'tinky." So I don't know, does that indicate interest in potty-training or not?

Are there any books, videos, websites, or pointers from others that were helpful to you?

4 comments:

Spring E. Smith said...

I love babycenter.com they have great chat boards you can read and lots of advice. The one thing I learned is that there are "signs" from your kid. Look at the physical, behavior, and cognitive. Most people say that potty training a boy takes longer and don't start until around 3-4 years. Girls start earlier than boys (2-3 years). Good luck!

Mom-mo said...

After some consideration of the 'question,' I'd suggest asking someone you know who has had several boys (not your sisters or me, obviously), where the youngest is not more than about 6 years old. Such a Mom should still remember the steps she took with each son. (For example, what about asking Tyler's Mom? Do you have her email address?) *One thing I've heard, over the years, is that it's important to have the Daddy involved -- he's the "big boy" role model for your son. *It might be a tad early to start, unless the Shmoopy is REALLY highly motivated already.

Amy said...

definitely some professional advice on-line is a good place to start. I've also used babycenter.com for a variety of issues. I think if you accept the fact that there WILL be wet clothes and the floor will get wet during the process then it takes a lot of the stress off. And keep it really positive. Focus on the accomplishments and reward the positive rather than drawing attention to the accidents. I definitely like the idea of talking to someone who's trained boys recently. Good luck!

Joyce Kinney said...

I have done it two different ways.
1. Get a potty chair and make a big deal of being a big boy now but you have to do this every two hours. You can wash your hands or brush your teeth but do turn on the water. If he does something you must say something very positive. If nothing is in the potty you will have to do this in another hour. This is very time consuming so you must be able to give it three or four days of constant care.

2. Have Dad in on this one. Get a stepping block and have Dad show how he does it. When you help him imitate Dad you will have to hold the penis down and direct the flow or you will have urin all over the place. This is also very intensive operation so it will also take a lot of time and mabe even a week to get him to do it on his own.

This may be more than you wanted to know but once it is done you will be glad of no more pampers to change. :-)