When we got back from our trip to Lesotho, my sister asked me what the most exciting part of the trip was. This was kind of a difficult question for me. Of course, it was probably meeting my husband's family and friends after 6 years of wondering about them, but I didn't say that. After I thought about it, this was my reply (and it is a true story):
When we were in Mantsonyane, the town in which my husband grew up and where much of his immediate family still lives, we attracted some attention when we drove around in our rental car, often bringing along as many of the kids as we could fit in the back seat with us. One day, a guy standing by the side of the road called out to my husband excitedly in Sesotho. My husband burst out laughing, so of course I asked immediately what the man said. My husband, still laughing, replied, "He said, 'So, you're the guy who's driving around the Chinese Lady!!!" Huh?!?! Evidently, the man must not see too many women with my complexion, but there is a Chinese family who owns a store in Mantsonyane. That is definitely the first time anyone has ever mistaken me for being Chinese!!!

2 comments:
Chinese, huh? I think it's pretty safe to say that will probably be the last time you are mistaken for a chinese lady too:) Funny though!
that is hilarious!
Post a Comment