Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Little Quack



Over the weekend, our little guy FINALLY decided he wanted to start walking again! Hooray!! He'd been standing, and making slight attempts for a few days, but his first real go at it was walking from the parking lot into the grocery store on Saturday evening. Once inside, he just kept walking... and walking... and walking all through the produce and over to the baby items until finally he wore himself out and rode in the cart. I was so happy I was sniffling and wiping away tears in the middle of Meijer! I didn't even really care if the other shoppers thought I was crazy!

My husband and I had debated for the previous week if Kiddo needed to go back to the doctor. Daddy-O thought something was seriously wrong, but I had been observing the little invalid very closely and became more and more certain that he wasn't in pain any more but was just scared. Mother's intuition, perhaps?

When my son started walking again, I felt a lot like the Mama Duck in Little Quack, which, coincidentally we checked out from the Library last week. I don't know if you've read this cute book-- Kiddo really likes it. The illustrator came to one of the schools I worked at in Ames, but I missed it because he showed up early, before my scheduled hours! :( Anyway, Mama Duck invites all her little ducklings to come paddle with her in the water, but they're all a little hesitant. One by one, they each get brave enough to jump out of the nest-- except Little Quack. I believe he says to her, "I can't, Mama. I'm just too scared!" Mama tells him, "You can do it! I know you can." Of course, he finally musters up some courage and splashes in to the water, crying, "Look at me, Mama! I did it! I really did it" and the Mama replies, "I always knew you could."

Even though I knew my little duckling could walk again, I am so grateful to finally get that confirmation! Now we're back to Independent Kiddo, who wants to walk through the neighborhood for hours on end and cries when it's time to come home. It's sure good to have him back, even if he is a little pill! :)

2 comments:

Mom-mo said...

Our 'Little Quack' is back!! Hooray for our Little Quack!! Glad he's back to normal because his 'normal' is SO entertaining!!
Tell him his 'Gobby' loves and looks forward to seeing him again soon.
Mom-mo

Kaela said...

Such a cute little comparison. You should be a writer. Hooray that he is back to his little walking self!!