Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I can't help it...

... I just think these are too cute to keep to myself. Please pardon our messy house. It's really not always this bad... although, sometimes it's even worse! I should plan better when I'm going to film a video... but it's so hard to get Kiddo to do his cute little things for the camera that I just grab it whenever it seems like he's willing-- and it's so hard to keep his stuff off the floor and furniture. On a related note, I've been asking him what he wants for his birthday, and whenever I ask him if he wants any new toys, he says "No." What?!?!?! We've speculated on this. Does he know we're poor and feels we should save our money? Does he really prefer books, clothes, and music? Does he think our taste in toys is pretty lame? Or does he already feel frustrated that he can't ever find all of his toys unless we let him leave them all out, strewn all over the living room floor? Who knows? I guess we should just enjoy the indifference to new toys while it lasts!

Anyway, the first video is a brief update on how Kiddo's geography skills are evolving and expanding. He is like his Mama-- he loves "big" words; thus, he seems to favor the countries with the most syllables in their names. I just get a huge kick out of his pronunciation. And, yes, I know it's horrible of me to have him say he's smart. I hope I don't turn him into a little monster!



The second video is to show it's not all book-learnin' around here. We also like to ROCK, albeit to the relatively mild, but still legendary, Buddy Holly. From the first time I played "Peggy Sue" for him, he's been hooked. I'd really love to get a video of him singing along, but he somehow mysteriously forgets the words when he sees the camera pointed at him... It's pretty trippy to see your toddler singing "Think it Over" or "Maybe Baby." We highly recommend Oldies music for babies. Maybe we could market it to Baby Einstein or something... ;)



Final note: the main reason Kiddo is not on YouTube is that we, especially Daddy-O, value our privacy-- and we're very afraid of weirdos. Kiddo probably
already has enough material to take to his future therapist, anyway. Also, I notice that YouTube-ers sometimes post the nastiest comments, even on videos of sweet, beautiful, innocent children. For instance, Lilly Gaskin isn't the only map-lover on YouTube. There are a few others, and I'm guessing their parents, like Kiddo's, had never even heard of her when their kids displayed their own love for geography. They probably just thought, hey, this is amazing and kind of quirky. Let's share how cute our kid is. But some people have written comments like, "Lilly is way better" or "This map is way out of date." I don't want anyone to slam Kiddo that way. So, if you want to share Kiddo's videos with friends or family who would enjoy and appreciate them, that's okay. We don't mind. We just want to shield him from the nasty people who think they can write horrible things to people they don't know on the internet.

I apologize that I added so much commentary. I had meant for these videos to pretty much stand for themselves. What is it that they say about the best of intentions?

1 comment:

Kaela said...

SUCH cute videos!! He really is a wonder kid:) I have wondered before how much attention a video of him on YouTube might get but COMPLETELY understand you being leery of the mean or crazy people that seem to exhist amongst us unfortunately. Thanks for sharing though- I thoroughly enjoy them, as does Kaden!!!