Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Buyer's Remorse

Or, why you shouldn't shop when you're tired and hungry...

Friday night I had a terrible case of insomnia, so I stayed up VERY late loading videos of Kiddo on to Google Videos (so I can just share them with specific friends or family members). Saturday morning came way too fast, and after a small breakfast we went to the Library for Storytime. We ended up spending quite a bit of time there, and afterwards we went to Aldi to pick up some groceries.

By the time we got to Aldi, Kiddo and I were both famished, and I was about to fall over from being so tired. He was getting whiny about having to ride in the cart, and then he saw me put M&Ms in the cart, but I refused to give him any (mean, mean Mommy). The whining escalated. As I turned down the next aisle, he cleverly spotted a toy he's played with before at his beloved Target, and asked to hold it. He promised to stop whining, so I handed it to him in hopes of a more relaxing trip. By the time we were ready to check out, he was becoming unwilling to part with this toy. I mentioned to Daddy-O that it was on sale for $7.99 which was a much lower price than we'd previously seen (about $20). I further pointed out that it was an educational toy, with games involving spelling, telling time, counting. Then I supposed that it would be a good toy for a long car trip, since it has so many features. Daddy-O considered it, and said we might as well buy it. A little voice in my head asked, "Are you sure? Does he really need it? Can you truly afford it?" Then the evil voice said, "Oh, but it's on sale-- such a good deal!" Obviously I wasn't thinking clearly due to the hunger and exhaustion, so I said, "Yeah. Let's get it."

All the way home Kiddo played with this toy. As soon as we got in the door, he resumed playing with the toy. In order to get him to eat or take a nap, we had to drag him away from the toy. When he woke up, he went back to the toy. The next day, the first thing he said to Daddy-O was, "Go get the new alphabet toy?" When Daddy-O asked him if he wanted to go say good morning to Mama, Kiddo replied "NO" and moved straight past him to go down the stairs. He cried when we told him he couldn't take it to Church. He ran for it as soon as we returned home in the afternoon. And on and on and on...

On the one hand, great, he loves the toy. He's more interested in it than in watching TV or getting into mischief. Theoretically, I could get lots of things done since he is so wrapped up in this toy. On the other hand....

One of the settings is "Music." I may have mentioned before that Kiddo LOVES music. He has since he was in the womb. So I showed him that each letter plays a different song. So, of course he is really no longer interested in any of the educational games. And for 3 days now, he has been playing song after song after song after song after song after.... and mostly just a few of his favorites. Some of the "arrangements" of these songs are a little manic, and kinda give me a headache. Plus the lights flash in different patterns for each song. And, here's the best part, he wants to share this toy with me. He wants me to sit with him and tell him each song title and teach him all the words, even the ones I don't know or don't like. I think I'm going to go crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, there's an off button, and actually the toy goes off by itself if he leaves it alone for a while. BUT, it tells him goodbye when it turns off. So he gets upset and runs back over and turns it on again. Every time that happens, it makes the sound of a phone ringing. Why? I don't know. Probably just to send me to the nuthouse.

But if you could see the joy it brings to his face... ai-yi-yi... what am I going to do?

1 comment:

Mom-mo said...

Can't think of any toy(s) that you or your sisters were so devoted to. You had your Barbies (w/ paraphernalia) and, if your Daddy would have cooperated, they might have been a tool in helping you to develop habits of 'tidyness.' It involves listening to whining and crying, from time to time, but the potential may exist to use this toy as a motivational tool for things like picking up toys and eating vegetables. Good luck!!
Love to all,