So, it's been a while since I posted. But since I note an appalling lack of comments from readers, I feel no guilt about this-- well, maybe a teeny bit, but not much. Somehow I found this very amusing blog-- http://borrowedlight.blogspot.com -- okay, let's face it, I was probably blog-stalking or whatever it's called. Anyway, I noticed she has the following page element below her list of archived posts:
Okay, to the title of this post. The kiddo turned two on Saturday. I decided not to have a party with guests, invitations, decorations, etc. because I realized that I would only be doing it because that's what I think the "Perfect Mother" would do. I also realized that it would be a lot of effort and expense, not to mention the STRESS on his perfectionist Mommy for something he will not remember in the future. It was also Youth Conference weekend, so between that (their parents serve in the youth programs) and vacations, most of the few kids he knows wouldn't be able to go.
So here's what we did. I decided to try to fill his day with lots of his favorite things.
He seems to have enjoyed all of his gifts, but his favorites might be the magnetic numbers and the faux MagnaDoodle that I bought for 88 cents each. It doesn't take much to make them happy at this age.
EXCEPT-- that every day since then, Kiddo has had at least one tantrum. He doesn't like what I give him to drink, there's (gasp) veggies on his pizza (as there always has been, mind you), he wants cookies for breakfast and we don't have any, he doesn't want his diaper changed, he wants Daddy to come home from work NOW, he can't listen to the same CD three times in a row, he doesn't want to go to bed, his Gobby went back to her house, the food is taking too long to cook, we returned his favorite DVDs to the Library.... the list goes on. Evidently, Kiddo has a mean, mean mommy. And don't get me started on his reaction to having his fingernails and toenails cut. I swear, our neighbors must think we torture the poor kid. Nope, he's just asserting his desire for independence. So, I'm really tired these days. And to think I wanted him to hurry up and be a toddler because they can talk and are more interesting... where has my placid little baby gone? :(

Well, if I can recall where I put my camera, I'll try to post some photos. Right now I think I need a nap.
"If You Choose Not to Comment...I considered adding it to my blog, too, but I guess that's plagiarism. Anyway, you get the point, right? But, no, I didn't comment on her blog, because she already gets 30+ comments a post. I don't think she's going to die any time soon.
...that's fine - just be aware that I may die. Really. Because every person who reads without commenting kills off another little piece of my SOUL. I just wanted you to know. So you can, you know, have a clear conscience at my funeral. Which might be soon. No pressure though. "
Okay, to the title of this post. The kiddo turned two on Saturday. I decided not to have a party with guests, invitations, decorations, etc. because I realized that I would only be doing it because that's what I think the "Perfect Mother" would do. I also realized that it would be a lot of effort and expense, not to mention the STRESS on his perfectionist Mommy for something he will not remember in the future. It was also Youth Conference weekend, so between that (their parents serve in the youth programs) and vacations, most of the few kids he knows wouldn't be able to go.
So here's what we did. I decided to try to fill his day with lots of his favorite things.
- His Gobby, the light of his life, was here.
- He got to wear his Michigan shirt.
- We sang to him.
- We took him to Storytime at the Library.
- We had Pizza for dinner.
- We opened presents. For the first time, he REALLY enjoyed this and knew exactly what to do. He calls it "opening packages." :)
- We went to the grocery store. Yes, he does love this. I'm not even joking.
- We listened to Buddy Holly.
- We read stories.
- He got to eat a cookie.
- On Sunday, we had his cake. He LOVED the chocolate frosting, and put his hands in it before we even got the candles on.
- On Monday, we met Daddy at Cold Stone Creamery during his lunch hour and shared his free Love It size "Signature Creation." If you have a Cold Stone in your area, you should really sign up for their birthday club. YUM.
He seems to have enjoyed all of his gifts, but his favorites might be the magnetic numbers and the faux MagnaDoodle that I bought for 88 cents each. It doesn't take much to make them happy at this age.
EXCEPT-- that every day since then, Kiddo has had at least one tantrum. He doesn't like what I give him to drink, there's (gasp) veggies on his pizza (as there always has been, mind you), he wants cookies for breakfast and we don't have any, he doesn't want his diaper changed, he wants Daddy to come home from work NOW, he can't listen to the same CD three times in a row, he doesn't want to go to bed, his Gobby went back to her house, the food is taking too long to cook, we returned his favorite DVDs to the Library.... the list goes on. Evidently, Kiddo has a mean, mean mommy. And don't get me started on his reaction to having his fingernails and toenails cut. I swear, our neighbors must think we torture the poor kid. Nope, he's just asserting his desire for independence. So, I'm really tired these days. And to think I wanted him to hurry up and be a toddler because they can talk and are more interesting... where has my placid little baby gone? :(
Well, if I can recall where I put my camera, I'll try to post some photos. Right now I think I need a nap.

5 comments:
[What are "Labels" for?]
On behalf of my Mom (your Grandma): "This, too [2?], shall pass."
Wish I could give you some other sage advice, but my maternal experience has only been with girls, and my three (including you) were pretty easy at this stage. You need some input/feedback from Moms who have survived little boy toddlers. Maybe you should email your Aunt Joyce?
Hang in there, sweetie!
Love ya!
It will get better!!! Then they want to get dressed themselves and be prepared for the ever so wonderful "No I do it!!" phase- that's a treat! Again- it will pass! Be strong and don't change your mind- when you say no, stick with it- even if it does mean a tantrum. Believe it or not this is a critical time for him, he's figuring out how far he can push you before you will break- so if you say "no" 7 times and "ok fine!" on the 8th, he will remember and try 10x's as hard the next time! Toddlers crave consistency and limits (yes- I know it doesn't seem like it!) but they will do better with a schedule and time to be independent. As mom-mo says- this too will pass!
Hang in there- and go ahead and let him have an extra cookie- it's worth it! :) :)
Love your comment on commenting- here is a link I found that made me smile...
Payday!
http://www.ishouldbefoldinglaundry.com/i_should_be_folding_laund/2008/05/beth-on-comment.html
Take care- Cousin Wendy
Rachael- I totally remember you, and your husband! I'm glad you decided to let me know you are watching us- I have always admired both of you. That is a very true statement.
Our stinky's birthday is coming up. I've thought of a thousand reasons not to do a big celebration (she is only turning 1!!!!) but the grandmas seem pretty insistent. Maybe next year I can follow your lead. It sounds like the day was a good one for the kiddo. Sorry he's been a stinker since!
Holy cow, that is Kepler right now! I pick him up from day care and the first thing he asks for is a cookie, going to bed its a cookie, waking up its a cookie. and lately its "no nap" Yes, the little independence streak is so much fun! ;|
Just hang in there, when they are cute it makes all those previous 10 days disappear!
Kaden always seems to get really hard right before he reaches a new developmental stage it seems. I try to tell myself when I feel ready to pull my hair out that it won't be long before he is in the new stage, back to his sweet self, and even smarter and better developed. Parenting is the best for teaching patience I think! Ack- good luck. As much as I LOVE my little toddler, I don't love some of the harder stages of 'toddlerhood' :)
Post a Comment