Tuesday, July 29, 2008

He's a Keeper



I think poor Kiddo's been getting a bum rap here lately, him bein' 2 and all. But in between the tantrums and the crazy food refusals, there have been some wonderful moments when I have just felt so glad he's "mine." So I felt I should post some things about him that I've really enjoyed lately.
  • His way of speaking is so funny sometimes: One night he'd been crying, and as he stopped, he said, "hang up your teardrop." And some time I've got to write about all the grown up things he's heard and then used later, such as "How great is that?" or "Hmmm.... let me think."
  • He's been listening to an old CD from the Library by folksinger Ella Jenkins. There are some environmentalist songs for kids on it which I didn't notice him paying much attention to. However, last night when Daddy-O was throwing away some plastic bread bags, I reminded Daddy-O that they could be reused. From out in the Living Room, Kiddo called out, "Don't throw it away!" (a line that is then followed by, "Recycle it!")
  • He's been attempting to draw lots of letters and numbers lately. He actually does a good 'W' and a '1/I/l', can usually make a decent 'O/0', and passable 'U' or 'J.' He makes some letters and numbers sideways: '7', 'N/Z' and lots of 'P/p' He has even made a few 2s. I'm not sure how often this is purposeful, except for 'P' and 'W.' Those I know he's drawing on purpose, because he'll announce it before he starts.
  • It's really easy to crack him up these days. I can just say "hairball" and he'll burst into laughter. Other things that have the same effect are commenting that he likes to sleep with "his bum up in the air" or reading him, The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog.
  • On Sunday afternoon, he belted out the first verse and chorus of "Scripture Power," with two other people from Church in the car! It's also fun to watch him dance. He's added some new moves to his repertoire.
  • Yesterday I asked him if he was my sweet little baby, and he answered, "I'm a GUY!"
  • Sometimes, when I'm getting him down from his high chair, he'll grab my face and give me a big kiss. When he's trying to avoid going to sleep, he totally manipulates me by looking at me with those big, brown eyes and requesting, "Mama cuddle with you?" He knows the way to Mama's heart!
  • Yesterday, he told me, "Mama's cool." So there, blogthings quiz! Of course, we all know this will change soon enough. :(
  • Oh, and do you see what he's "reading" in that picture? My Very First Dictionary! When I came to see if he was really awake or not yesterday morning (it was quiet in his room far longer than usual), he said, "I'm reading, Mama" and he held up his Dictionary. Is he my kid or what?!?!
So, yeah, he may also be stubborn and loud, but we'll keep him!

3 comments:

Tim & Alicia said...

Your kiddo is hilarious!!
I am so jealous of you, and your library. Ours is so small, they have about a dozen kids cds. That's it. I like to look for things that you have mentioned, and they never have them. But they did give us Ten, Nine, Eight by Molly Bang as part of the books for babies program.

I never get to read the books I check out either. I just return them in the end, always late. At least you are really trying to read yours, way to go!!

Mom-mo said...

Your little "guy" amuses and entertains me whenever I have the good fortune to be around him. I have to say, perhaps you don't do great 'impressions' of "famous people" much any more (if you say so), but your impression of your son whining is right on the money . . . and even more amusing than 'the real thing.'
Love you all!

Kaela said...

What a charmer he is! I love the updates on him. And though my little guy isn't quite as advanced as he is it is still fun to compare and see hopefully what Kaden will be doing in the near future:)