It's no secret that I'm a raging perfectionist, at least when it comes to myself. When it comes to others, I usually think they're way cooler, more beautiful, funnier, smarter, more spiritual, more talented, more creative.... and on and on. I've been this way for most, if not all, of my life. Just recently, I read part of a book about the trap of perfectionism, and one thing it pointed out was how we American women are bombarded with images of what it means to be "perfect" all day long. I started thinking about what it would mean to me to be perfect-- as a mother, wife, Primary leader, daughter, sister, neighbor, friend, scholar, worker, homemaker, crafter, etc., etc., etc. (not to mention being a size 4 who never indulges in junk food and exercises 6 times a week)-- and I realized that this perfect lady I'm always feeling bad that I can't be probably doesn't exist. She would have to live happily on less than 4 hours of sleep EVERY day and have 12 or so conveniently retractable arms and legs.
Having this V-8 moment has certainly not ended my feelings of inadequacy, but I find if I can remember to challenge my negative thought processes, I can also spend less time feeling bad about myself. And that's good for everyone.
I just saw the following article on www.time.com, and found it correlates with what I'm trying to teach myself now, after many years being stuck in the perfectionist trap. I think it's an excellent idea, and worth incorporating in our own lives in some small way. Click on the link below to read more. In the meantime, be kind to yourself, 'cuz after all, you rock.... especially if you leave a comment on my blog. :)
Taking On the Thin Ideal - Fit Nation - TIME
Having this V-8 moment has certainly not ended my feelings of inadequacy, but I find if I can remember to challenge my negative thought processes, I can also spend less time feeling bad about myself. And that's good for everyone.
I just saw the following article on www.time.com, and found it correlates with what I'm trying to teach myself now, after many years being stuck in the perfectionist trap. I think it's an excellent idea, and worth incorporating in our own lives in some small way. Click on the link below to read more. In the meantime, be kind to yourself, 'cuz after all, you rock.... especially if you leave a comment on my blog. :)
Taking On the Thin Ideal - Fit Nation - TIME

5 comments:
yes, Rachael, we all have those days of imperfection. But the nice thing about getting older is you start to realize those things are not important. I know this move has definitely not brought the best traits out of me, but I'm learning tons about how much I have changed and grown! Thanks for your insights! I appreciate them!
I can't think of anyone I know who's even PERFECT at one thing, let alone at a whole list of things. And some things (like size 4) are very subjective. Cut yourself some slack, sweetheart. You're pretty wonderful the way you are! Love U!!
over the years I've gotten a lot better at accepting "good enough". not in a slacking kind of way (ok, maybe sometimes) it's just too tiring and not very much fun to try and do the impossible feat of making and doing everything perfect. just relax and put your energy into the things that really matter.
Perfection is relative, overrated, and boring:) One of my favorite quotes is "To be perfect is to be better today than we were yesterday and better tomorrow than we were today." Great article and I think you are AMAZING just the way you are!!!
Post a Comment