Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Very Fine Mess




I have a problem, an addiction of sorts. Until recently, I've reassured my husband that it's a healthy addiction because it keeps my mind active, relaxes me, gives me something to talk about other than our kiddo-- and it's free. Well, now that only 2 of those 4 statements are true, I realize that maybe I need to work on this addiction. Have you guessed what it is yet?

I check out WAY, WAY, WAY too many library books at one time. I don't know why, except that there's definitely too many books to read and too little time in which to do it. I think I'd need a whole lifetime just to read everything I'm interested in-- not to mention that I rarely take time to reread my favorites! And I just can't admit I've bitten off more than I can chew. I just keep renewing them and renewing them until I can't any more. Then, if I still haven't finished something, I try to get it again the next time, or even put it on hold again if I know it's a popular item. I don't even care if they're kids books and I'm depriving an actual child of the joy of reading them first. It's sick, I know!

I've done this since childhood, and usually I do a good job of keeping track of all of my materials, even the DVDs, CDs, and books for Kiddo... (who currently prefers being called "Chief" or "Man," or even "Old Man!") Well, now I'm losing it, I guess. I left 3 Signing Time DVDs at my Mom's last weekend, and she had to mail them to me so they won't be overdue. Now I'm even checking out items on my husband's card when I've forgotten my own or when I've wanted more than the whopping 5 movies they allow you to check out. Today I realized that I've now accrued over $6 in fines on his card because I'd forgotten to renew those items, not to mention the fine I just paid off on my own card yesterday... So now he can't check anything else out until I pay for "his."

Meanwhile, my house is a mess, I still have to make a birthday cake and card for my husband, I owe several emails, I'm exhausted, and I still have the following to read for MYSELF:

  • Digging to America, 277 pages, due 7/21, already renewed 2x
  • The Green Glass Sea, 323 pages, due 7/21, renewed 1x
  • The Heart is A Lonely Hunter, 359 pages, due 7/22, renewed 2x
  • The Host, 619 pages (WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?!), due 7/23, doubt I'll be able to renew it
  • Hungry Planet, 285 pages, due 7/23, doubt I'll be able to renew it
  • These Is My Words, 384 pages, due 7/22, renewed 2x
+plus, on Daddy-O's card:
  • Keeping Score, 202 pages, due JULY 1ST, can't be renewed because of fines
  • Shug, 248 pages, was due JULY 1st, but now renewed until 7/24, 1st renewal
So far, I've completed 42 pages of Keeping Score. So, out of 2697 pages, I've got 42 down, 2655 to go. YEAH. Wish me luck... Anyone wanna come and baby-sit or clean my house? :) I'll be your best friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought not. See you next month or something...

No comments: