
So, Kaela posted a comment in my previous post with a link to a YouTube video of a little girl with some serious map skills. I guess the little genius is named Lilly Gaskin, and I guess she was recently on Oprah. Oprah airs at 10 p.m. here, so by the time it comes on I've generally forgotten that Oprah even exists.
Anyway, I went to YouTube and watched an 8-minute video of her with her World Map, and was totally blown away. At that stage, anyway, Lilly and my little guy knew/know almost all of the same countries! She knows a lot more of Europe, and he's more of an expert on Africa, so they're pretty well-balanced (Ha-Ha). I then watched more videos of her that her uncle has posted. Evidently Miss Lilly and my little guy have a LOT in common, as they not only both love geography, they also both enjoy talking on the phone, reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar, singing "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam," and talking for very long periods of time. Perhaps she also likes counting in foreign languages, identifying shapes, drawing, looking at the phone book, and singing hymns? It seems as though she's also LDS, so maybe I should look into an arranged marriage.... what do you think? JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But really, the main thing those videos showed me is that my guy's not so unusual. I know that my Sweet Boy is super-smart, and that his interests are somewhat unique, and that gives me happiness. But being who I am, it has also worried me. I've wondered at least a few times, will he be able to have fun and successful playdates and friendships, or will he be a nerd like his Mommy was/is? I'm virtually certain that he's smarter than I am-- will that make him even nerdier? Will other kids think he's weird because he's so in love with the maps, globes, and atlases? Will he be bored in school and act out? Should I make sure he learns some sports? When I was a kid, it seemed like the only smart kids who weren't teased much were those who were also very athletic... and you can bet I wasn't one of them.
The list goes on and on. If it can be worried about, chances are I'll think of it and obsess about it at least a little. Because while I'm thrilled to have a clever child, what I want most is a happy child, who is kind, has good friendships, high moral standards, and enjoys life. And seeing Lilly, so cute and joyful and loving her maps-- as well as other kids like her-- makes me feel hopeful that there will be others out there who appreciate the same things and who will accept my son. After all, he's a pretty wonderful guy!

2 comments:
I really think you need to send your video of W. to this girl so you can set up play dates somehow or dates in the future:) What a good momma you are with all your worries for your amazing little boy. I wonder how many hits your videos of W. would get on YouTube? You probably don't want that fame for him though? He is truly a cutie and a smarty, but what else did you expect coming from you guys?!
Knowing your Hubby, I can't imagine your son NOT growing up more athletic than you did. Your P.B. said to strive for 'balance,' and you and Hubby can find the right balance for your son. (Unfortunately for you, neither of your parents were particularly athletic -- even put together, we weren't as athletic as your Hubby is.) Let 'the Daddy' take the lead in the physical activities department, and you can keep the title of "Book Woman." ;o)
Love you!!
Post a Comment