Friday, May 9, 2008

Who's your Mama?




Because our Little Guy is so good at memorizing things, has a strong independent streak, and a paranoid Mama, we've been trying to teach him his full name, age, address, Daddy's full name, and Mommy's full name. So far, he's doing really well and has it almost all down. He's a little sketchy on our address-- he knows the street name and our unit number, but not the street number to our complex. Even though pronouncing his Daddy's name is tricky for plenty of adults, he's got that just about perfect! I can't believe it.

But the craziest thing is his reply to, "What's your Mommy's name?" If you noticed in a previous post, he KNOWS my first name is Rachael and occasionally uses it, I guess to see if I'm paying attention. Yet one day he looked at me, smiled, and answered, "A-wyn Kwauss." I asked him "WHAT?!?!" and he repeated the same answer! I corrected him, but since that day, he always answers,
"A-wyn Kwauss."

Now, if you ask him who sings "Baby Mine," one of our favorite songs, he also answers, "A-wyn Kwauss." So where did he get the idea to call me "Alison Krauss?" My one guess is that he's heard me tell him that my middle name is Ellyn, and maybe he thinks that sounds the same as Alison. I really have no idea. Or maybe it's because our singing voices sound suspiciously alike. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Not in this lifetime, I'm sad to say! I truly have a problem with coveting her talent (sigh).

So earlier this week, I said to the kid, "Now you know your Mommy isn't named Alison Krauss. Sometimes I wish I were Alison Krauss. Then I would have a beautiful singing voice, and we'd never have to worry about money. Wouldn't that be fun? But you know what? I wouldn't want to be Alison Krauss if I couldn't be your Mommy-- and I probably wouldn't be. I'd rather be your Mommy than be Alison Krauss because I love you and you're my favorite little person in the whole world." I hugged him and gave him a kiss.

But today, when I asked him again, "What's your Mommy's name?" he smiled and replied, "A-wyn Kwauss."

So, what's the deal-- is he telling me he wants to trade me in for a cooler Mom, or is he just trying to drive me crazy? Given his Daddy-O's personality, I'm betting on the latter!

2 comments:

Mom-mo said...

Do you remember last autumn when the Little Guy and I had our "car" vs. "star" duel? From that experience I know he can be stubborn about teasing, so you can either just let it go or keep correcting him until he quits teasing you. (Think about the teaser you're married to and ask yourself if you want to be living with TWO teasers for the next however-many years.) Meanwhile, your Mama loves you!! :o)

Kaela said...

I'd take it!! Baby mine sung by her is my favorite lullaby ever! I would just take it as a compliment- I bet you sound just like her:)