Friday, May 16, 2008

Hooray for Kids' Books!


Every time I turn around, it seems to be another day/week/month set aside for honoring books. It’s hard to keep up with them all! There must be some bookworms with some serious connections to have gotten so many days officially devoted to books and reading.

Anyway, this week is “Children’s Book Week,” so in honor of that, here are Mr. Smarty-Pants’ favorite Library Books, in no particular order. There are probably more, but these are all that I can think of right now. It is fun for me that he’s starting to get so interested in picture books, so that I can share some of my favorites with him.

Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale by Mo Willems

I Am Invited to a Party by Mo Willems

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Hickory Dickory Dock by Keith Baker

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, Jr., John Archambault, and Lois Ehlert

Chicka Chicka 1-2-3 by Bill Martin, Jr., Michael Sampson, and Lois Ehlert

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Grandma and Me by Karen Katz

Bunny, My Honey by Anita Jeram

Hippos Go Berserk! by Sandra Boynton

Horns to Toes and In Between by Sandra Boynton

Corduroy by Don Freeman

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin, Jr. and Eric Carle

How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague

We have checked out, and renewed, some of these books so many times that I’m wondering if any other families are getting to enjoy them. Sometimes I wish I’d never discovered Hickory Dickory Dock. Don’t get me wrong—it’s a great book—but after having read it multiple times a day for about 3 months, it’s starting to get old. The sad thing for me is that he can find that ONE book on the shelf at the Library with absolutely no help from anyone. And once he has found it, it MUST go home with him.

If you have any suggestions for us, we’d love to hear them. We’re always looking for more great stories!

1 comment:

Kaela said...

Thanks for the great list of book recommendations. I wish I had a few for you. I think W. is a lot more advanced than my little guy though. My little guy is just starting to get patient enough to actually let me read an entire book to him. My mom and sisters always seem to have good recommendations- I will have to ask them and get back to you. On your list, we have read and loved Brown Bear, any Dr. Suess, and the Dinosaur books. Becky's little girl loves Sandra Boynton.